RCU Forums - View Single Post - glow engines are fading away
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 09:18 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Drones are for sure messing up our hobby, or more to the truth, the people flying them are. The damned younger generation who feel they are entitled to do anything without regard to consequences.

At my field we have 3 run up benches, and a portapotty. We don't have meetings, we don't have a club house, and I think, at 53, am the youngest member. We lost a couple guys last year too. It seems that out of all our members, only 3 show up on a regular basis, as I have not seen the others in a while. I'm the only glow flyer, the others have gas, and the only true builder, the others fly ARF. One guy I haven't seen in a while flew electrics, and has a ducted delta wing. Man is that thing fast, and loud. I have a couple electrics, but charging is a PITA as one of them has 2 8000 mah packs that take two hours each to fully charge for 15 minutes of flight. At over $100 each for the packs, I don't get many flights out of that plane, even though it looks cool, a Twin Otter, and sounds realistic on a flyby. I used to fly it with 3300 mah packs, but after take off with full throttle, if you didn't back out of it, you would have to land it as it sucked the life out of them quickly. My other electric is the Apprentice I learned to fly on, and my wife is building a 4*20 that will be electric. She won it at last years SIG Flyin.