RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking to get into FPV
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 05:34 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking to get into FPV

I'm looking into the options for equipping my NTC3 and my dad's Mad Crusher with FPV stuff. Both of them are glow powered models, so the ever-present constant vibration and fuel spills are a major concern, as is the shocks and impacts associated with being on vehicles like this(My car is rally modded and, his being a monster truck, both of them are going to be literally tumbling around fairly often).

My requirements:
  • Fuel, vibration, impact resistant components on the vehicle side
  • 720p HD 30FPS minimum. Yes, I want sound. Don't need theater grade dolby or whatever, but I want it good enough that I can upload footage from it to YT and people won't go 'Needs music, your sound is terrible'. Quality wise, the sound from the keychain camera I used last time I recorded onboard is fine.
  • Components on the car must be pretty small. NTC3 is a touring car, there isn't much room under the body for anything, especially with the enormous cooling fins on its engine's cylinder head.
  • NO FISHEYE EFFECT(So no GoPros)
  • Pan and Tilt/headtracking upgrades would be nice in the future but for now they'd just be rigidly mounted facing forward
  • Super long ranges aren't a concern so a 5.8ghz system would be fine, however, I would want one with enough of a range overlap where video would be crystal clear out to a quarter mile while having to percolate through some fairly thick woods. You can get a decent idea of where I'll be doing most of my running with this system from this ancient onboard video I filmed with one of those crappy keychain cameras on my old monster truck(RIP)
  • Reliable. I'm not buying cheaply made crap that's going to fail in six months no matter how babied it is. I'd rather save up over those six months and buy something that'll last forever.
  • Affordable, if possible.
  • In the distant future I might also find myself finally putting this NexSTAR .46 I've had hanging on my wall for a few years in the air. It, too, is glow powered, and if I've got FPV set up for my ground pounders I'd like to have a system that could easily receive signals from an FPV setup in this aircraft as well. This is an upgrade path I want to remain open.
Would it also be possible to split the outputs amongst multiple displays? I'd probably be wearing goggles while driving but I'd want to be able to send the footage to a recording laptop as well, and possibly the TV in the house so others could watch real-time.