RCU Forums - View Single Post - further bluring the line
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 09:29 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Whatever the nuances of the advertising campaign wording would imply
There are no, "nuances" in the advertising industry. Very simply, it is an advertiser's job to plant a perception that will evoke a favorable response or perception by the viewer.
Originally Posted by jester-s1
That's not exactly a wholesale abandonment of the AMA's mission.

AMA Mission

The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.

The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation, recognition, education, and scientific/technical development to modelers.

Not a word about commercial operations in their Mission Statement.

What is the AMA?

World's largest model aviation association, representing a membership of more than 195,000 from every walk of life, income level and age group.

Self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity.

Nothing in there about commercial operations either. In fact, I think it is quite clear that the AMA is strictly a hobby-based organization. That is why it was founded and how it has operated since it's inception.

It is my opinion that the AMA should stick to it's Mission and Vision statements that have served it's membership (quite well mind you, at least until recently!), instead of crossing a very distinct line in order to embrace a completely different demographic, with a completely different set of needs and regulations, in order to simply bolster it's dues-paying members. It is simply a $$/power grab that has NO VALUE for it's CURRENT members (remember them? (here's a little secret: THEY (AMA) are really US (at least that is they way it was intended!).

Astro