RCU Forums - View Single Post - Calrl Goldberg Tiger 60 Build
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 10:18 AM
VincentJ

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Getting ready to start sheeting the wing, but not before I glue in additional Balsa blocking for the hinges. The blocking gives me an additional 1/4" thickness at the trailing edge for the hinges to really grab hold. I'm using 5 hinges per wing panel, one more that indicated on the plans. I'm also running the blocking the full width of the bay, in other words from one rib to the next. Doing this affords me the opportunity to place additional hinges in the future should one break or need replacement.

With every thread that I write, I try to give a few tips on how I build, things that I hope may help you... so here's my tip for the day.

In Photo#1 I'm holding the blocking that is ready to be glued in place, but to make the blocking fit better I have slightly chamfered the inside edges of the blocking. When the ribs were glued into place, there is always a bit of glue that dries in the corners making a small radius, by chamfering the blocking it will accommodate this radius allowing the blocking to fit tighter giving you a stronger glue joint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8123.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	2249606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8125.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	2249607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8126.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	2249611  

Last edited by VincentJ; 01-01-2018 at 01:42 PM.