RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch build McDonnell XP-67
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Mms_citrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I suppose it depends on what you want from the removable wings. Of my three most recent sub 48 inch wing airplanes, two only ever had the wings removed for maintenance. The third had wings held on by rubber bands and so those got taken off at the end of every flying session. This may just be personal preference on may part as I have the luxury of a pickup with a camper shell and can just put the planes in the back. Three immediate reasons come to mind for removable wings. Shipping, as in arfs, is a factor for mfgs. Convenience in getting to and from the field. If you are driving a Miata every little bit helps. Maintenance is the third thing. Many conventional airplanes remove the wing for access to the interior of the fuselage. The XP-67 with its blended fuselage probably just needs a hatch. At this point you are more of a fiberglass expert than I. My own personal preference would be to build the wings separately and than permanently attach them to the fuselage. The cool thing about this is; it's your experiment. You have the plugs and molds. With an airplane this small you can crank out a couple of prototypes to try different ideas.
I may remold the wings and horizontal stab. The plugs came out fine, so I can reuse them. It will allow me to incorporate them into the fuse better, and will allow better fitment if I Make them separately. Now that the fuse is done it’s an option. I was going to do a clever servo mount in the fuse and hor stab so that it was accessed when the wing was removed from the wing root. Was wanting to avoid any removable panels like most models have. I think everything is really just too small to allow that kind of engineering, without an excessive amount of work. And it won’t add much weight but the structure will add a coupl ounces for removable wings. This was what I was thinking of doing, it’s just a mock up and it’s overbuilt I know..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7AC4CF26-6A77-4502-ADB8-1E64300AB739.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2250094