RCU Forums - View Single Post - further bluring the line
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Why do so many assume corruption when there is no real evidence? Hanson is doing something that some members don't like, other members approve. Wow. Let's lynch him right now since no leader has ever done something like that. Does he not know he has to please everybody?

Low voter turnout is a symptom of our generally disengaged society. Look at Presidential and Congress voter turnout. The numbers are dismal, even though those elections are a lot more important than who's going to run the toy airplane society.

I can't tell that any of the complainers in this thread even know how AMA elections are run, let alone have some inside knowledge about the people involved or discrepancies in the numbers. It's downright irresponsible and immoral to throw such accusations out with no evidence.

So here's an idea. Hanson is our President, properly elected through a democratic process according to our bylaws. He's distinguished himself in our hobby and in service to the AMA. He knows the AMA better than any of us on RCU do, and he has leadership experience and skill. So why not listen to his reasoning, give his ideas a chance? You might still disagree when it's all done. He might be wrong. But then again maybe not. He may have this thing thought out several moves farther than any of us do, and he definitely knows about circumstances that affect the hobby that we'll never do the research to know. In another thread there are some who are so opposed to change they'd rather see the AMA disappear altogether rather than get involved with drones or commercial RC. Are we, as a group, that cynical and backwards minded that we'd rather destroy our organization than to see it evolve? I hope not. Let the leader make his case. Be open minded enough to really think through the ramifications of both options, preferably not through the lens of the "all drone pilots are jerks and idiots" crowd. There are quite a few possible scenarios where peaceful coexistence could be good for both groups, so it's worth a shot. To stay as we are will only result in our current course continuing, which means the end of the AMA in aother 15 years or so.
Sorry Jester, but when someone shows me a lack of ethics as blatant as Rich demonstrated by allowing one candidate to attack the other in an organizational publication, I lose all trust in that person. Hell, in my job, an ethics violation of that magnitude would cost me my job since I am one of a group that is tasked in FAA required testing of people that build jetliners. Therefore, ethics(or lack there of in this case) is a big deal to me and something I don't take lightly.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-08-2018 at 08:04 PM.