RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gyros in Pattern
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 08:29 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy91
I don’t think adding gyros into pattern will help it grow but i it sure wouldn’t hurt it either. The biggest thing has been pointed out already, folks show up to a contest as a first time or first year participate and compete against a 2m pattern ship and or a contra version of that 2m ship.
While I think it is great folks dive in head first it in the same aspect scares folks away. It in my opinion would be beneficial if we could split up sportsman and intermediate into 2 sub classes, class A would be the 70 size type models, and class B would be the larger 2m ships. I feel this would draw people to come and fly the planes they have and own and just have a good time.

Another thing I’d like to see is more flights for the lower classes, I feel it could be beneficial to fly 2 sequences per flight or just more flights. This is the best way to learn is in front of judges and getting over the nerves that come with the contest. I think it would be possible to fly 4 rounds even doing the double sequences and you could then have a single day contest for the people who cannot be away from home for the entire weekend.

Andrew

Good points! Am I correct that IMAC flies two sequences per round? One upwind and one downwind? Fuel plane shouldn't have an issue with time flying two sequences,electric might but I know next to nothing about electric. Sub classes would add no time to the overall event. It still takes "X" time to fly a sequence. Adding a second sequence while in flight would take very little extra time and may in fact speed up the contest a bit. You would half the number of take offs and landings which can take considerable time.

Ken