RCU Forums - View Single Post - *Seagull Westland Lysander*
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 08:50 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sailr
Fabulous build! I still haven't finished mine. The canopy doesn't fit well and having trouble with that. Also really concerned about the CG as comments around the web have it all over the place!

Those who have successfully flown theirs could you please provide comment about where you put the CG?
If you look through this thread and the RCSB Thread you will find several of us that have finished and flown the Seagull Lysander successfully.
I have built and flown (2) and the CG was half way between the leading edge at the root and the centerline of the wing-tube. My maiden flight is in the enclosed YouTube video.
I had shortened the cowl by 2-1/2 inches to a scale length and I found that I was still a bit nose heavy in the maiden flight.

After some stall trials at altitude I felt very comfortable flying Lizzie down low and slow. The Lysander behaves well with power, lose power and be careful not to stall her too low. She falls off on the left wing and recovery can take altitude.

My initial landing was done without flaps and you can see how short it was.
My second take-off was with take-off flaps. It was airborne in less than 10 ft!
All flights after that were just plain fun! Low passes and touch and goes really highlight the looks of the Lysander and the sound from the Saito FG60R3 4-stroke radial.

Here are some photos of my 2nd Lysander:

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lizzie-2_9405.PNG
Views:	114
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2251213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lizzie-2_9406.PNG
Views:	112
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2251214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailor-1-2_9397.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2251215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailor-1_9396.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	2251216  

Last edited by Fly2XS; 01-14-2018 at 09:10 PM.