RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is Hobbico going out of Business?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 05:43 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with a lot posted here. I think our hobby and local club is going to change quite a bit. Lots of things at play. Without the parents $ the options get pretty limited for kids. Not many 14 year olds can afford a 4K 35% or a 10k jet plus the high club dues, transportation, fuel for jets etc. Most kids working are paying for their car etc and don't have a lot of cash left over. My son learned how to fly young, he's 25 now. But now his time is working, paying insurance, house payment, etc. Spare time is playing with his dogs, relaxing around the house and playing play station online with his friends. The local club is 45 minutes away so... Some clubs aren't the most friendly as well. The small electric market has took a lot of the hobby out of the clubs. Kids can get a small park flier and go to the park, back roads or wherever and if they wreck they don't have as much invested. I think the 'middle class' is disappearing in our hobby. Cheap foamies, arfs or the high dollar stuff. I've seen a lot of people interested until they find out the price of what they like. No one wants to start with a trainer, we all want to go straight to the jet 😉