RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jemco 40 Fun Scale Mustang
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 01:28 AM
Sandnat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think you said you were going to put a 90FX in it on Jay's thread. That should be pretty swift. And you have built two 40s.

You ever have any concerns about wing strength? I know I about folded mine up one day in a high speed panic pullout one day. This was after I had sheet most of the wing and put the retracts in. It was coming almost head on to me and I swear I could see the tips flex up and the covering wrinkle. The wing structure is a bit strange on the design wit that secondary spar. Fairly strong as far as the front of the wing and gear structure but lacking behind the main spar.. Long ribs held together by monocote till you get to the rather weak trailing edge structure. I had been thinking about sheeting the leading and trailing edge structures and capping the spars but didn't want to get off into all that work. Even though it could be argued it would kinda improve that scalloped kinda flimsy looking leading edge.

Then I had an eureka moment tonight. I finished getting ready to lock everything together on the right wing tonight but it is COLD out in my shop. Sleeting here in Gulf Shores AL tonight and I didn't feel like dealing with CA with freezing air for ventilation. Was fixing to head in the house for the evening and the solution hit me. Don't know why I didn't see it before. A one 1/4 square lower rear spar. (see picture...stick is laying across the top in the approx position). Let the front of the hatches for the wing servos but up against the spar. Will be easy to do the cuts in the ribs before I glue them in Roll the wing over and and put it in from the bottom to make sure everything is nice and flush . Yay! That should go a long ways toward shutting down any twisting and/or flexing.

[img]Click image for larger version

Name:	XzQ7VTg.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2251415[/img]