RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch build McDonnell XP-67
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 05:55 AM
Mms_citrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I discovered my first major flaw. It’s fixable. Will require some work in the mold itself unfortunately. Needless to saw as this is my first scratch build, I have learned many lessons, for most of which is to develope a PERFECT jig. Spend 10x the time on the jig, maybe even double it. Make 5 of them for Christ sake until it’s more than perfect, god like even.......my wing roots were off by about 5mm at the trailing edge. Matter of fact the entire starboard side of the planes trailing edges were off about a millimeter near the very stab, to 5mm at the wing root. I have corrected the wing root issue and I’m thinking that the rest of the filleted fuse will not be a huge concern. Everything trailing edge from the nacelle inward is max 2 millimeters off. Will require a little extra trim no doubt, but I think it will be ok. The molding is done. I’m letting it kick. I realized my problem after I molded the lower wing half, I was looking and I was thinking something is crooked.......something is crooked.......lol........no no no.... it’s fine.......no something is very wrong.......but I can’t really tell......yea it’s ok.......no something is crooked........ah screw me.........so I had to pull them off. The detailing came out really good. Obviously getting my technique down...0 voids, no thin spot with bubbles. Very happy. As I’m looking at it now the dihedral may be a few degrees off, but it looks good. The lines flow right. I’m probably ok. I haven’t been sleeping well and I think I might just be being super critical right now. Anywho, ordered all my electronics for the plane. I chose some 370w motors, 30a escs. A 3700 3s battery rather than a 5000mah. The lower mah battery saved me about 7 ounces!!! Only cuts theoretical flight time by a quarter, I’m looking at 4.5min at wot now, bear in mind I’ll be running greater than 1:1 power ratio, I may end up going smaller and light motors and battery even still, but I thought....POWWAAA(Jeremy clarkson fans will get it). New landing struts are on their way. They aren’t especially scale looking, but they may require no modifications, which for something this small I think is more important at this point. I’ll update again when I start mold repairs. Putting me back about another week, but eh, who’s counting
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A310B435-8703-4A3F-8C3B-E37406EB9281.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	973.1 KB
ID:	2251802   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF039FB1-D8FE-422E-93A6-311F92EDBDD4.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2251803  

Last edited by Mms_citrus; 01-21-2018 at 06:01 AM.