RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wing leading edge sheet
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 06:08 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jabowil-RCU
Thanks for the help. I have glued the leading edge in place. Now to glue to the ribs. I have not heard about gluing then ironing. Sounds interesting. How long do you wait before rewetting the glue and ironing down?
You do it as soon as the glue is rubbery. If you wait until the next day it won't work. However; considering you have already glued the LE on, I wouldn't use this method. I've done it many times like that and you have to be able to dry the glue with a heat gun on both the wing and the leading edge sheeting. As soon as the glue is rubbery, you then iron it on. I recommend wetting the leading edge and waiting 15 minutes or so, then rewet and very gingerly and slowly push it down until it contacts the ribs. If everything looks jakey, let it back up and run a bead of glue on each rib and also the spar, push the sheeting back down, and pin everything in place with a bunch of T pins. Push them in at different angles, less chance of the sheeting riding up on the T pin that way. You can also add some bean bags or something to help hold it in place while you are pinning. Use Titebond glue or any aliphatic resin. I won't recommend thick CA here. You have too much glue to lay down before you push the sheeting down.

My Lazy Ace is still going after 20 years. Running A G26. Seems about the right motor. Had a 90 in it which was nowhere near enough. Then put in a US 41 and nearly ripped the wings off.

enjoy it

carl