RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications
Old 02-03-2018, 06:20 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha Gentlemen....
Its been a while since anyone posted here...so I wanted to let you guys in on my next project.

I have been given a seven year old T.F. P-51D. It is well war wary and has had three engines installed....from a O.S. .60, to DLE 20cc gas engine. Never crashed....been flown a lot....and I will be rebuilding the model into a "B." I have the conversion kit...and a rebuilt set of "Lado" retracts. I had the set in this airframe rebuilt and they just came back from France. All I can say is that I love these retracts and the service from Lado is the best.

I did this once before....turned a P-51D to a "B" years ago. That model lasted for six years until I managed to run into one of our wind sock polls at full speed. Not much left...but I used the T.F. conversion kit...and it was an easy conversion. Like my last one...this one will have a Robart retractable tail wheel installed. I never had a one problem with my Robert gear, and it was servo operated.

I have a new cowl...and will be disassembling the model, by removing canopy...and from the instrument panel down to the main middle longitudinal support...you cut aft. Easy....simple and then all you do is install the tail wheel assembly first and working well....for once you cover up the turtle neck...there is not clear access to the tail wheel assembly. I do have the stab to try to remove....but I may just leave it in and remove the control surfaces.

It will be recovered in 332 Squadron colors...like all my P-51's. Red Tails...

A DLE 20 cc RA for power, Airtronics Rx and HD1501 BBMG servo's. This set up in my "D" model....and the rear exhaust 20cc gas engines seem to do the trick and most reliable. Side exhaust engines have issues...but not the rear exhaust engines. I've flown mine for over a year...and not one dead stick.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 02-03-2018 at 06:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Paris:
jeep36 (02-11-2021), ThunderBoat42 (12-20-2020)