RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to RC Planes, help getting started
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 04:33 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that did not answer the question, so let me ask it another way. If this is to be an ongoing endeavor, who must replace the equipment as it disappears or is used up? And the reason I mention that is that I don't see a plane listed or pictured that is truly for a beginning pilot. The attrition rate in the planes I see will be astronomical if they are actually to be flown and if these kids are truly beginners. The only plane I see that is even close to a beginner's plane is the Avistar and it is really not for a novice as it has a semi symmetrical wing with no dihedral. Of course, the engines and radio systems can be used for any degree of ability but they will be subject to crash damage just like the air frames will. And a bunch of high school kids flying a Giles or Uproar? I see one short flight out of each plane and then someone will have to either repair or replace them. If that is you, you best have deep pockets. I am in no way trying to discourage you. I think getting a bunch of high school kids interested in flying RC is absolutely marvelous, but it will be damned expensive. And I don't believe that you or anyone else can become an accomplished builder or flyer in one school year. I believe the only hope you have to make this thing work is to get with a club around Houston and get some of the pilots to come in and supervise the building and then to buddy box with the students (and you) for their first flights, until they become good enough to solo, Some with exceptional abilities will do it in just a couple flights, others will never get it. This is not a game you are entering into. Flying RC is arguably more difficult than actually sitting your butt in a full size airplane and learning to fly it. But this hobby is desperately in need of new blood and getting high school students hooked on it is a really good idea. Actually should have happened in middle school, as the high schoolers are about to discover what the opposite sex is for and then that is all they will want to think about for awhile.

I see some really, really good stuff in the pictures you supplied. I sincerely hope you can get some kids hooked on RC and put some of that stuff to good use. Whoever bought the stuff bought the best, but none of the airplanes are for beginners.

BTW, is the radio equipment all the same brand or is it varied? And the reason I ask that is that if you do really get into this and get with some veteran pilots, you will probably want to be flying the same brand of radio that the veteran is, unless you are going to supply a radio for both the beginner and the veteran to buddy box with. This gets damned complicated and expensive, especially on the scale you are talking about.

I hope this does not discourage you. I am all for you and what you are attempting here. I see several thousands of dollars in the equipment you have pictured and I suspect from your posts that there is much more. Good luck to you.