RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pica 1/5 Scale Mustang Build 2015
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 03:40 PM
szempruw

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Wing Mounting

Per instructions, it was time to mount the wing. Since the wing was sanded well, I wanted to work on the wing fairings soon. When I checked basic measurements, I started to fear the incidence was off. I don't have a incidence meter that big, but talking with a club buddy, he recommended making a jig. I copied the W2 ribs and added 1/8" all around. When I cradled it in the fuse, I could measure easily to the F22 crutch which is the plane's datum line.

Seeing this, I had to carve down about 3/8" in front. The maple blocks were already installed. I also found at app for a smart phone and used it to check the stabilizer incidence. I was 1 degree positive. Although the instructions /plans say 0 degrees, 1 degree was added to the full size plane so I think I'll be ok with the stab incidence.

Once I carved down I was able to use a Stanley 3/8" wood dowel centering jig I drilled the dowel hole in the wing, inserted the jig and pushed forward to make my mark. I epoxied the dowel in the wing, aligned the wing tips and drilled the mounting hole. And yes, I checked to make sure wings were level with the stab.

Now, staring at it, it's starting to look like a plane!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Z1 Wing Mounting.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2254796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z2 Wing Mounting.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2254797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3 Wing Mounting.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	1.41 MB