RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito's New Engine: FG-90R3
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 03:18 PM
RCPILOT78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all you fellow Saito Fg90r3. Help ! Help ! Help. I am a proud owner of this engine have about 15 flights on it now
love it but of lately needle valve issues are getting me frustrated. I broke it in as Saito recommended and it was running
great, although it always seemed to hesitate and stumble from idle to full throttle on takeoff so I decided to readjust
the needles.
In doing so now after takeoff I reduce power to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle good speed for a 1/5scale Zaroli T-6 and engine starts to
miss fire and stumble, runs great at full throttle and idle but acts up in mid range only !
My carb settings have been set at 5 - turns H needle 4-1/2 L needle. It has run ok for 14 flights and on the last flight it began so I landed immediately and reset needles H to 4-1/2 and L to 5- turns no help. Did not get better.
So I went to on line forums and to Saito instructions On line, Horizon instructions on line, spoke to rep from Horizon
and have become dizzy with all the conflicting needle valve settings.
From factory settings of H-3 turns out L -4-1/2 turns out to engine forums saying H- 6 turns out and L 5-1/2 turns out.

My problem may not be related to carb needle settings but in my quest for a good setting for this engine I can't believe
that range of settings can be suitable ! Any thoughts or suggestions.
I have been an r-c flyer since 1978 I consider myself an advanced flyer and builder own G62's G38's DA85's and have flown In the past with Saito 91 four cycle engines all with no problems. While this 90cc engine has flown my T-6 without incident I can't seem to get a reliable transition.
Any help with reliable carb settings other than the mentioned setting ranging From H -,3 turns to H - 6 turns might help.
I am relying on what has been a good reliable carb setting. And why such a wide setting range from other sources.

Thanks Joe