RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF SPITFIRE ASSEMBLY and SCALE DETAILING
Old 02-28-2018, 06:26 AM
RAMMJETT

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob ,I have scaled the head size of my screws to the same diameter as the Dzus fasteners and they are countersunk to sit flush with the panel , I could not find Dzus that small and there are so many it would have added crazy weight . So I ordered aluminum pan head screws , with a slot cut and a hole drilled in the center they look pretty close , I will be grinding off all the fake screw heads that carf felt necessary to riddle the plane with and replacing them with my dummy dzus. This by no means will be exact scale but even I cant live with phillips head screws sticking out of the cowl all over the place, looks like a bad drywall job LOL. These screw heads that carf added are not only the wrong diameter they stick out 3/16" and are in all the wrong locations ??? funny because everything behind the fuel tank on the spit looks to be correct, It's almost like a different person built the front of the plane or they gave up when they got to the fuel tank . The one thing that is really bugging me is the cut in the engine bay side cover where Carf decided to end the cowl , I have been trying to think of a way to get rid of it . what do you think about adding litho plate or 1/64 ply to the sides of the cowl so I could extend the sides back to the correct place and then screw them down with my dummy dzus. I find that line really changes the look of the front of the spitfire. maybe I am just getting to picky . If I were to do the plane again I would hack the nose off from the fuel tank and reconstruct the whole front of the plane .

Last edited by RAMMJETT; 02-28-2018 at 06:31 AM.