RCU Forums - View Single Post - Reviving dead nicd/nimh packs...
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 10:50 AM
pb1592

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving dead nicd/nimh packs...

I'm sure this has been asked before, there are even YouTube videos on the subject, but I'd like some specific clarification on the subject if possible.

1) When reviving a dead 7.2v nicd/nimh pack, I understand I need to manually connect it to another power source to give it a little charge so that a smart charger will detect it and charge it normally. When doing this I can simply connect another good battery to the dead one, (+ to -) for about a minute right?

2) I have several nicd/nimh packs that seem to only charge about 25% or so. They worked fine when last used before sitting in storage for a few years. I've heard of "shocking" the pack to dissolve crystal buildup in the cells that supposedly inhibit current flow. Without disassembling the individual cells, how exactly would I "shock/zap" a faulty pack back to life (what voltage, amperage, time)? Cycling these batteries at a low (< .5amp) trickle doesn't seem to help. With a 2-to-4 amp quick charge they begin to get warm as expected when the smart charger shuts off, but when I use them it seems like they only have about 25% of an expected full charge. Are these packs toasted?

Can the entire pack be shocked/zapped for this to be effective or would individual cells need to be done individually?

Last edited by pb1592; 02-28-2018 at 11:44 AM.