RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is Glow Power still dominant?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 05:55 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

When I was learning to fly, one of the things I was taught was to yell out "Deadstick" if the engine on the airplane quit. This announcement warns other flyers and people around the airfield that the airplane will not be able to stay aloft and will perhaps be making a landing soon - depending on altitude during the event of course. This warning allows other pilots to make adjustments to their flight patterns or to clear the runway to permit an unobstructed path for the airplane making the unpowered landing.

Now, the new generation of electric flyers are not being taught this courtesy - I never hear any of 'em yell "Deadstick" - why not?

I'll tell you why - its because they can't hear their motor when it quits if others are in the air at the same time. At least when you have a fuel-to-noise-and-smoke generator in your airplane, you know when the airplane power-plant quits because the noise stops. This is why the louder, glow-powered airplanes increase the comfort level when flying - you can hear them way better above others - especially if others are only flying electric powered aircraft - and you can fly them further out because the sound carries further... You won't ever be caught by surprise while flying glow during an engine-out situation as you would if you were flying electric, had the motor quit, and didn't hear it.