RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/4 Scale Pfalz DIIIa
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 11:06 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm going to be getting back to the Pfalz shortly. Once I get the root of the stabilizer done and the fin in place I can start with the upper half formers, running the pull-pull lines and sheeting the upper half of the fuselage. A question on my mind at the moment is the texture of the fuselage. As I understand it, the wicklerumpf fuselage was covered with a layer of fabric that was doped to the silbergrau color. There are a few exceptions where the laminations appear to show through the fabric, but for the most part the fuselage appears to have a smooth surface. Factory fresh aircraft look to have a little bit of gloss but most photos seem to show a sheen rather than a gloss. There are other aircraft where the paint, particularly the markings, appears to have at least some gloss. My understanding is that some of the gloss is impacted by the weathering of the aircraft.
To what degree was the weave of the fabric filled in when the aircraft was initially painted?
At present I'm thinking about covering the fuselage with a layer of Koverall to give the texture. Any thoughts?
Another area that I want to get right is the joint between the left and right fuselage shells. This doesn't show up all that well in most of my reference materials but it generally appears to be smooth with no obvious seam.