RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 03-26-2018, 06:52 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Telemaster
QUOTE=Donny there is a difference between using cyano during the course of construction and simply butt-glueing half a tailplane back on to the rest of the stabiliser! So far it's held but I haven't carried out any aerobatic manouevres yet. I'm scared that the glue joint will fail if I try to roll the model and if I use it in the competition it may fall apart in the air. I need to build another wing for it and I'm going to build second model as a reserve aircraft so it's not much extra work to build another tailplane.

I concur, That is why I do not butt glue any joints, I always cut on and angle as much as I can but most BREAKS are jagged enough not to need any modifications. my past experience has shown ca to be as good or better than epoxy in such a repair, I think you will find the ca repaired area will hold up just fine if properly done which I am sure you did. I have used thin ca in repairs were I wicked it into the crack that remains after carefully pushing the break back together without any problems. the only time I had a problem is when too much was used, as you know, more glue does not make a stronger joint.

I am trusting that our terminology isn't confusing our meaning.

a test someone showed me was to repair a break and then attempt to break it again and in most cases the second break occurred in and area other the the original break unless the original repair was faulty. Good luck!

Last edited by donnyman; 03-26-2018 at 07:01 AM.