RCU Forums - View Single Post - Possible cause of lack of newcomers
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 11:45 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
A great story that I can relate to very well. It is why I only do jet and advance gas training now. Truly burned out as a primary instructor. Some of it is funny, some of the story is the sad truth, and I am glad that the author pointed out that the "bench flyers" don't need to be there intruding upon the instructor's/student time of working out issues.
Over a period of 40 years, I've belonged to 8 different clubs. In each and everyone of those clubs, beginners had a problem finding someone to train them. I spent most of my time training and usually I would be the only instructor there. Instructor burnout soon raised it ugly head.
It seemed that any other club I visited had the same problem helping beginners get in the air and on their own. Most of these clubs only offered instruction one day a week or offered no instruction at all. One club only had instruction one day a month.
In one of those clubs I belonged to had a youngster who couldn't get a ride to the field because his parents only had one vehicle and both worked. Sooo, the kid would show up at the field with his 40 size airplane and all his equipment strapped down on a trailer attached to his bicycle.
Even though I had burned out from teaching and swore I would never teach again, I had no trouble at all spending time teaching that kid. He earned his wings on his 3rd lesson.

Last edited by fliers1; 04-13-2018 at 11:50 AM.