RCU Forums - View Single Post - Possible cause of lack of newcomers
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 06:28 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Flier, I also looked to see where you are located. Trying to promote a hobby shop in a town of 20-30K population out in the middle of no where is going to be difficult. Especially with online mail order. I visit a hobby shop about twice a year. Since I only fly turbines, the local hobby shop doesn't have what I need. I see in another forum thread that you are even giving free flying lessons. Maybe as a suggestion on trying to get younger kids flying are different outings for them from school. Different Clubs that I have belong to over the years will sponsor The Civil Air Patrol, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and members would volunteer their time, trainers, fuel, etc for a day with them. Provide a cook out with hamburgers and hot dogs. With Civil Air Patrol, the kid already has an interest in aviation. Another idea is to go to the local VA and work with the Veterans. Have a sponsored Veterans' Day. If I see any kids at our field, it is because their Dad is flying r/c. One kid that comes out, doesn't even fly. Not sure why, but maybe his Dad.

I closed my hobby shop many years ago, but I did prove that the old adage, location, location, location didn't mean much concerning marketing RC aircraft. There was a Hobby Town USA in Buffalo, NY Population 256,902, that didn't do well at all and couldn't sell RC aircraft, in fact didn't really care to carry airplanes and helicopters because he felt there was no market for them. Of course if I were to have a shop in a large populated area, I could definitely do very well.
The advantage of being in "the middle of no where" is that there are many large open areas for flying fields. Many of my customers lived on many acres of land in which they didn't even have to join a club to fly.

There is only one shop that's been around for over 60 years that is doing well, but although they do carry RC aircraft, but their biggest sales are RC car, trucks and quad copters. When my shop was open, although there were 6 flying clubs in the area,I didn't wait for club members to come in my shop, I offered anyone and everyone the opportunity to fly my trainer. That's how I kept my shop open for 6 years. Those who I sold airplanes to became repeat customers who quickly bought more advanced aircraft kits and ARFs.

2004-09%20Column.pdf

Last edited by fliers1; 04-17-2018 at 07:05 AM.