RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC hobby on a budget
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 03:40 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi... I am fairly new to the hobby, and recently I bought a RedCat Blackout that I have been terribly disappointed with it's durability. This post is not to bash RedCat, but to determine what I should get going forward that will not break the bank, and will not need to be repaired every time I use it. I do not race, nor do I plan to race in the near future. We setup a course in our backyards to run. The course is a mix of terrain (grass, pavement, rocks, tire ruts, tree roots, and some 2"-3" high man-made jumps. We use cones to mark the turns, and we do our best to stay on the course.

I purchased the RedCat as a brushed model, and have since upgraded the motor and ESC to make it a brushless model, so if I could use those in the new car, that'd be great. The RedCatis a 1/10 scale car, so staying with that scale would be best. I am looking to keep it under $200.... but my biggest concern is durability... We don't try and crash our cars, but I can't be repairing after every session like I do with the RedCat. I have been toying with the idea of going with the Traxxas Bandit or Traxxas Rustler... but from the looks of the pictures, they look like they may not be all that durable.

Interested in hearing any suggestions the forum can offer.

Thanks
Opting to go the 2wd route is a big plus. That will cut costs considerably.

A 1/10 scale 2wd short course truck, or stadium truck is where I would be looking to have the best chance at staying close to budget. Going the 1/14 scale route would really limit the terrain you would be able to drive on, and potentially, IMO, a weaker RC platform.