RCU Forums - View Single Post - Physics question with shock spring pre-loading...
Old 04-21-2018, 07:59 PM
pb1592

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Physics question with shock spring pre-loading...

I own a few 1/10 scale rc's I use primarily for backyard racing and bashing. Specifically I have an assortment of old Traxxas e-maxx, rustlers, and stampedes. When we race/bash it is typically on flat ground (grass/dirt). The biggest gripe is that my less-experienced friends who try to race with me will constantly roll the vehicles with sharp turns and braking-while-turning, etc. I would like to configure my setups so that they are as roll resistant as possible. Obviously setting suspension/COG as low as possible helps, but in terms of shock tension what should I do? I figure that pre-loading all of the shocks to make them as stiff as possible should help prevent rolling as much as possible but am I wrong? I noticed that when I accidentally roll one of my trucks on a turn (while slowing down for control) it seems like the front wheel I am turning towards is dipped way down because of inertia. This dip places the entire body on an angle towards the turn and forward which I am guessing will make it more likely to tip over. Am I correct in this assumption? I figure that a heavy pre-load of the shock springs would help prevent this tip (for inexperienced racers, myself somewhat included). Again, since we really race primarily on flat ground should I heavily pre-load the shock springs? Any other suggestions (aside from more practice haha)?

Thanks!

-Brian