RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tamiyas next 1/16 tank?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 08:32 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fsttanks

I owned a HobbyTown USA for a fair number of years and had/have a rather good rapport with my suppliers. So I know a bit more about the number than you might think. I sold it off because I could see the writing on the wall. There is NO younger generation of modelers just people that want RTR toys like Heng Long produces. It would scare you to really know the state of the brick and mortar hobby store and the hobby industry in general.

As I am sure you are aware coming out with a new R/C tank at the Tamiya quality level is incredibly expensive. This means they have to recoup costs in an ever shrinking market and as quickly as possible. Which in turn means a product that has the largest market appeal. Currently that is not WWII tanks.

When you have owned your own store and seen what sells and what does not we can discuss the ins and outs more deeply. Sorry but there it is.

Don’t get me wrong I love WWII tanks and have build a fair number of them and in so find them boring as known history boxes in what can and can not be done to maintain realism. Modern tanks allow for more imaginative add ons and improvements that simulate advancing technology and development. It would seem you have a lack of imagination if you find them boring because they offer endless and probable build schemes.

We will get what Tamiya has deemed to sell based on their research. I just posted what I thought based on my knowledge and experience of the market. Time will tell if I am right or not.

"Ever shrinking market?" Never been bigger than it is now and growing with different level price points on tanks and aftermarket boards. Yes you may have operated a store but you may not be fully educated on the history of the hobby.