RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 06:09 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Actually, to me, coming up with a quiz and the associated clues is just as much fun as figuring out the answer to someone else's quiz. Then again, I don't mind doing some research on a subject that I find to be interesting. That was why I did a quiz on the F4F-3 Wild Catfish. It was a "one-off" plane that most would have never heard of, even though it's parent design was well known due to it's it's combat record and exploits during the first half of WWII. The Hotspur and Defiant were very similar, in many ways, to the Wild Catfish:
  • All were overshadowed by more famous aircraft such as the Corsair, Hellcat, Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, etc
  • All were actual "flops" performance and/or combat wise
  • All were either never put into production or ran a very limited production run(just over a thousand Defiants were built, mostly as night fighters or air/sea rescue planes as it was a sitting duck against German fighters)
Yeah, I don't mind doing the research either. Maybe it's the babysitting of the question that gives people pause. Anyhow, here's another clue on our current question. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird pilot do I describe?

1. This pilot is, today, almost unknown. Yet he was, in many ways, one of the best there ever was.

2. He was born on a farm.

3. And entered military service at a young age.