RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 09:38 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DieHarder
Ok, I have an update on the CVDs....

I'm pretty sure its not bad luck since it happened twice. I bought two sets, one for each Evader. I take my youngest sister (she's 13) to the track and she drives one of the Evaders. Before installing the CVDs, I checked the tightness on the set screws for the joint pins, they went a little tighter and the CV joints stiffened up a bit. I wiggled them and they smoothed out some, but I figured they would break in after the first run. One thing too, the shaft part where the wheel slides on to engage with the pin, the shaft is slightly bigger in diameter than the old EXT drive shafts. I had to drill my wheels out about 0.010" bigger to get them to slide on, and they went on tightly at that. Also, the dogbone end of the CV (the part that goes into the differential) hangs in the last 1/3 of the slot in the diff outdrive, a little far out IMO. Even with suspension changes, the furthest it goes into the outdrive is like 1/2 way. So I put an outdrive spring in each diff outdrive, just because. In summary, I think the shafts should be a little longer, but they work fine....
I'm using well broken-in Losi wheels that were made for 3/16" axles, and they went on the new 5mm CVD axles fine. Maybe a snug fit, not any tougher to get on than before, but I didn't have to roughhouse them on. If the axles were out of tolerance too great, they would not have been able to pass through the bearing.

Yes, the dogbone end does ride pretty far out in the outdrives, but I don't think it's any worse than when I'm running plain dogbones. You can see in the pics where my dogbone has worn down the center of the outdrive. When using the CVDs; at full droop, there is still room on the outdrives so as not to bind anything up.

Full droop.

Full droop. Swapped left/right outdrives to wear down other side of slot.

After a few runs around the track, no issues yet. I'm only running a 14.5T motor, but I still land jumps many times WOT. Running with slipper on the conservative side probably helps take the stress out of the equation a bit. Yes? For me running on a loose track, that's another plus in the CVD's favor I think. Time will tell.