RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 08:22 AM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cathurga... Thanks for telling us about your Saito adventures! I might have an accidental experience with my FG 60 that might help. When I first got my engine broke in, mounted, and ready for flight I was trying to tune it making sure the top end was rich enough at WOT by the traditional method of max RPM, then enriched enough to see the RPM fall off a little. I took a bunch of cylinder temp readings (using a hand held optical thermometer) and they were higher that I'd like, getting up around 275F or so. Piddling around, I took a reading off the intake plenum and it was running at well over 200F, which in my mind didn't seem right at all and started to richen the high speed needle a click at a time. By time I got done the plenum temps fell to under 100F and cylinders down about 50F each. This only took about 6-7 clicks, not a large amount at all. After doing this the engine seemed to be a lot more consistent in transitioning between idle and full throttle, which would make sense if the the plenum was getting heat soaked after a full throttle run. I doubt it makes much difference, but I'm using AVGAS (100LL) and Klotz 15:1, prop is a 22X10.