RCU Forums - View Single Post - CY MODELS La-7//Evolution 160 radial
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 04:54 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok here’s the rub ....my first flight was down right perfect from take off to landing. This model is as stable as they get and really easy to land and being the first flight, the plane was set up and balanced as it should be. I landed on asphalt and the plane set down on a three point landing at a walk speed. I was thrilled! The second flight didn’t go so well. I tried landing in the grass off to the side of the asphalt. I set the plane on its mains in a wheel landing and the plane flipped immediately when the wheels touched down. Broke the cowl and tore up the Robart’s.
Fortunately, nothing else was damaged, not even the prop. But, I realized that I placed my gear to close to the CG, even though I had moved them 1/2” further forward of the original location. I called Darrell at Sierra and he happened to have some gear that would fit perfect and wouldn’t fail like the Robart’s had. I shimmed the gear in order to move the axles forward and that fixed the grass landings. With all the repairs on the nose plus the addition of the baffeling added to the cowl, I ended up nose heavy and it’s made landings difficult....I’ve actually bent three axles now but Ive just finished rebalancing so I expect smooth landings like the first one.
I’ll let you know how it goes this weekend in Monroe, Louisiana