RCU Forums - View Single Post - ST 2500 issues
Thread: ST 2500 issues
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 03:16 PM
planenutzz

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Default ST 2500 issues

G'day Bill,
not sure if this formum is still being monitored by superTigre support but here goes.
I have a ST-2500 which is fitted to a JMI P51 of 82” span, an old but lovely model.
The engine has run beautifully for many years but last 2 or 3 I have had nothing but trouble with it leading to many deadsticks and several on climb out leading to model / retract damage.
  • Fuel mix is 12% Klotz/Coolpower oil, 5% nitro or sometimes no nitro at all
  • It also has a Cline regulator fitted
  • OS 7D carb fitted
  • Engine is inverted
  • Onboard glow system fitted
  • Plugs tried:
    • McCoy MC-8 & MC-9
    • OS F
    • SuperTigre Medium
Orignally swung a Bolly 17x10 but broke that some time back and now is fitted with a 18x10 Bolly prop which may be a bit much for it. It had the 17x10 for around 20 years!

Symptoms/things tried:
  • Can’t get a proper tune, engine will bog right down and die as soon as throttle goes past end point of the onboard glow driver. It’s like a switch is flicked. this presents for both engine upright and inverted
  • Sometimes I can tune it out but it is not reliable
  • Engine will start easily with a backward flip on the spinner
  • Needle valve is not responsive
  • I’ve rebuilt the Cline regulator with new walbro diaphragm and needle. Same results
  • Tank pressurises fine with no leaks
  • I’ve put all new fuel lines throughout
  • Friend gave me another OS 7D and same issues present
  • Rebuilt the carb as far as I was able to, no change - same issues with both carbs
  • New carb O ring on the base
  • Removed Cline and set up as a normal fuel system tube direct to carb, no tank pressure. Same issues present so it's not the cline regulator
  • Bench ran upright and initally had it running on the bench ok or so I thought but did not seem to peak out. I used same tank etc from the model. Engine appeared to be very hot
  • Used same set up in the model. Same tank. Sometimes it will run for a while at full RPM but will die. Other times it quits just past glow driver cutting out with.
  • Starts easily
  • Very little response on the needle valve to peak out RPM
  • Have tried a range of plugs, OS F, Supertigre medium, McCoy MC-8, MC-9, Thunder Tiger hot
  • Have tried my normal fuel mix for other glow models, 20% oil, 7% nitro. Engine sounds very bogged down at low to medium RPM but will run at full throttle some of the time but not peak out and needle valve is not responsive. Very unreliable
At my wits end with the damn thing and seriously considering retiring the model due to total frustration with it. It’s a simple engine and can’t figure out the problem.
I am thinking it has overheated a few times and the piston / liner has become varnished leading to further overheating.

Hoping you can shed some clues?
Are parts still available for these? Piston and liner? The bearings are fairly new.

thanks in advance
P

Last edited by planenutzz; 05-27-2018 at 03:21 PM.