RCU Forums - View Single Post - Shaping Ailerons or Flaps from Solid Balsa Stock.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:13 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a large and tall standing cast-iron Delta bandsaw with an adjustable milled steel table. The thing weighs about 200lbs.... just to give you an idea of how serious a tool it is. LOL Still, I have never experienced it to be able to provide the long straight kind of a precision cut that you are describing. Over a long length of 24" balsa, I'm sure my band-saw blade would want to veer off course as it cuts through the wood and produces a very long wavy and uneven cut, basically trashing the balsa. I'm sure you are getting fine results with your saw or you wouldn't do it.. But, with all the years that I've owned mine, I can't imagine using my band-saw to produce a fine wedge shaped piece of wood like an aileron that only needs some "cleaning up" as you put it.

I suppose that I probably could use my band-saw to help remove a lot of the wood that I won't need. It could probably remove at least a 1/3 of the excess wood that I would otherwise have to sand off by sanding. That would save me a lot of time. Thanks for the tip. This thread was like crickets for the longest time, and it's nice to hear sounds of life. LOL

Last edited by rustyrivet; 05-28-2018 at 08:21 AM.