RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 07:19 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you two have been keeping the thread alive . As I mentioned in a previous post, I do not have my 51 any longer. However I have again added fuel to the insanity argument surrounding my choice of aircraft by building a P38. But that is not why I chime in here.

My two cents here for advice on the landing characteristics of your 51 would be to make sure you are not trying to land it like all the other planes you might have. The 51 is a great flying plane however it is a warbird and as such it has to be landed with more speed. IT WILL NOT FLOAT like a sport plane. You WILL tip stall it every time if you try to do 3 point landings. Get used to landing with a little bit of power and as soon as the main wheels touch let go of the elevator/aileron stick and only then go to idle and fly it down the runway with just the rudder until the tail settles on its own. Especially if you are using flaps....keep the power on until the mains touch. Obviously it doesnt need to be a lot of power but enough that you can maintain some aileron authority and if you can teach yourself to get OFF the elevator and drop the throttle to idle as soon as the wheels touch it will will not have a chance to tip stall and mine always stayed nicely planted on the runway with a scale like roll out till the tail came down on its own.

I fly a lot of sport planes too and this technique was one of the hardest things to learn when you switch between warbirds and sport. It is so sweet to watch a sport plane settle slowly onto all three wheels. It is just asking for a tip stall if you do that with a warbird.

My two cents