RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/4 Scale Pfalz DIIIa
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 PM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

At least there seems to be plenty of room for mounting a muffler. I got the G-38 and its twin as part of a package deal. They came with three sets of mufflers. I guess the bottom , small muffler must be the stock muffler that comes with a G-38. The top muffler is a Bisson and while a lovely bit of kit is too big for this airplane. I think the middle muffler came from an ME-110 project that was for sale at the same swapmeet table. Hiding the muffler is not so much a problem as plumbing its exit. A scale, functional exhaust wouldn't be that hard to build. The problem would be that unlike the exhaust on a Fokker or Albatros, the exhaust pipe doesn't sweep aft. A scale functional exhaust is looking like it will dump right on top of the carburetor. Other options are to exit the exhaust straight out the side so that the exhaust at least looks like it is coming from a generally correct area or turn the exhaust pipe down and exit as unobtrusively as possible out the bottom of the fuselage. This decision will be driven at least in part by how well the cowl panels and dummy engine turn out.