RCU Forums - View Single Post - Shaping Ailerons or Flaps from Solid Balsa Stock.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:55 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
I use steel at the leading and trailing edges. Usually rod of some sort for the trailing edge and what ever I have on hand for the leading edge. Place the stock down and tack glue the steel guides so the stock slips between them. This way I can use it as many times as needed. Use an exacto balsa plane to get it close then sand to finish.
That is similar to the method I'm describing. Except I'm using screws on each end to hold my 3/32" rod at the trailing edge, while you are using glue to tack it on. Your method of using metal at the front leading edge is preferred just like you are doing it. But the problem is that me and other guys don't have a source for obtaining long lengths of straight metal edges in the exact thickness needed. The aileron in the photo is 9/16" thick. Most of us have trouble finding metal strips in 9/16" , 5/8", or etc. So it is much easier for me to cut a length of wood in the exact leading edge thickness I need (or use a precut piece you might have on hand), and put a protective layer of masking tape over it and just use that.

Last edited by rustyrivet; 05-31-2018 at 03:59 PM.