RCU Forums - View Single Post - On my latest trip to HobbyTown USA....
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 06:48 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

We have an "Almost Hobby Town" over in Fresno. Same thing... it's quite a dwindling store. I don't even drive the 8 miles to it, as it's rare they have anything I'm looking for. When I do go, it's for something specific on the slight chance they might have it. Calling ahead does no good. Nobody knows a thing about RC planes... and they've given misinformation on the phone over the years due to just that.

I remember those kind of hobby shops that are mentioned above though... oh yeah. There was one here in Clovis back in the 80's that had a round table near the back area, and a pot of coffee going most of the time... free to all customers.. I'd just go in there to kill time and shoot the breeze with fellow modelers and talk about projects over a cup of coffee... and spend money every trip.
Made friends and learned alot there. The gentleman finally shut it down, not because of lack of business, he just wanted the space to do other things in life... as he owned the building... still does apparently... but he's got to be in his early 80's by now.