RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where Have All The Kits Gone ?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 02:12 AM
smkrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I don't think that the situation is as bad as all that!

True, the big kit producers of yesteryear, the Goldbergs and the Top Flites, have gone or appear to be going, but there have been plans for decades so it's always possible to build a model from a plan if you are determined enough.

However, the kit manufacturers only produced a limited range of kits. If you wanted to build a Spitfire, P51D or Piper Cub you were well catered for but if you wanted to build any WW1 two-seater aircraft, a Soviet WW2 fighter or even something as iconic as a Hawker Hurricane, the choice was much more limited.

Those big manufacturers are being replaced by a cottage industry, kit cutters with lasers. They will produce the Cubs, Spitfires and P51s but today, if you wanted to build that Brewster Buffalo, Spirit of St Louis or Hawker Tempest you simply send off the plan to a kit cutter and for a fee you can have your own unique model aircraft kit accurately reproduced.

We've never had such choice.

Mind you, when we've all gone up to that great flying field in the sky, even the laser cutters will have to shut the doors.
That's true. I was looking at build a few kits that are no longer available but now I'm looking into building a Ziroli PT-17. Doesn't mean I'll build one but at least I'm looking at it.
BTW if you haven't noticed HH started cleaning up the tower site. Lots of out of stock top flite kits and arf's have been removed.