RCU Forums - View Single Post - MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 06:37 PM
bigmikew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki 150 RPMs and Plug Condition

Did some test runs this weekend to get a feel for the motor's operating range.

I'm seeing around 900 rpm idle and about 5100 max with a 26x16 prop on the test stand. Is this idle about right for this prop? I'm seeing others mention 600rpm, but not sure if thats what I should expect on the 150. Seems to be a pretty smooth transition from idle to full throttle, and only a couple of puffs of white unburned fuel from the #3 exhaust side of the collector ring when the engine hasn't warmed up. After running a few minutes the puffs of unburned fuel seem to disappear and it seems to smoot out.

Plugs seem to be showing black build up after only a couple of tanks worth of running, except for the #3 which comes out wet with fuel and with no discoloration or buildup. I'm not sure #3 is firing, but I assume it is due to the visible puffs of fuel disappearing. The #3 cylinder is noticeably cooler than the others, but I haven't checked their actual temp. I can touch #3 by hand, whereas the others are too hot to touch after killing the engine.

The #3 side of the collector ring is still throwing black oil pretty heavy. The other side(pilot side) of the ring has all but cleared up on any messy exhaust. I'm running redline at 50:1 plus 2 ounces of Seafoam per gallon of fuel. I've just started running the seafoam.

I'm running on a CH Ignitions with a 7.4 battery.

This is all after the adjustment of the valves to factory settings. No turbulator yet, and I'm wondering from these conditions if it's worth going through the paces with trying it. My biggest reservation is that it looks as though the turbulator would require some engineering to get the servo's for throttle and choke to be easily accessible, as the carb will protrude into the firewall of the plane (CY models LA-7). This will also make any carb adjustments more difficult to perform without engineering a hatch to get to the carb.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Mike