RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 10:07 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Sorry guys; it's been a bit hectic lately. Nothing too serious, just a lot of it. How about the Stout Skycar and its military derivatives? Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The XC-65 Light Transport (AKA XC-107 or Stout Skycar)

The Stout Skycar was a series of four one-off American-built light aircraft of the 1930s. William Bushnell Stout was a prolific designer of road vehicles and aircraft, including the Ford Trimotor series. He was founder of the Stout Metal Airplane Division of the Ford Motor Company and in 1931 designed the Skycar which was specified for easy handling and provided with automobile-style comfort.

Single examples of four variations on the basic design were produced between 1931 and 1944.
The Skycar I, sometimes referred to as the Model 11-W. It was flown as a personal aircraft by Stout for several years and was later donated to the Smithsonian Institution. It is on display in the National Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport Virginia.

The Skycar II was evaluated by the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) as the XC-65 light transport. It was destroyed in a hangar fire circa 1942. The Skycar III was tested by the USAAF as the XC-107.
Specifications (Skycar I)

Data from Aerofiles
General characteristics
· Crew: 1
· Capacity: 1 passenger
· Length: 24 ft 0 in ( m)
· Wingspan: 43 ft 0 in ( m)
· Useful lift: 480 lb ( kg)·
Powerplant: 1 × Michigan Rover R-267, 75 hp ( kW)
Performance
· Maximum speed: 95 mph ( km/h)
· Cruise speed: 80 mph ( km/h)
· Stall speed: 35 mph ( km/h)
· Range: 320 miles ( km)
Ernie I think you're wrong Elmshoot says his aircraft has a 18 foot wingspan your stout comes in at 24 feet.