RCU Forums - View Single Post - What happened to all the Top Flite Kits at Tower Hobbies?
Old 08-05-2018, 02:58 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I take the phrase " entire hobby " to mean building and flying as opposed to assembling and flying. I would place myself into that category as well but will also add designing to that as well. Although I don't much care for ARFs either I have owned a few over the years. They flew fine but IMO they were not as durable as something I would have built myself. At the end of the day ARFs are just not for me unless they are of the composite variety. I however do not think the invasion of ARFs are to blame for the decrease of popularity in our hobby. In fact I think our numbers would be even lower if it were not for ARFs. What I do feel is suffering due to the popularity of ARFs is the knowledge to properly set up and trim an airplane. I end up spending a great deal of time working with guys in my club on these issues. Most times the club member in question has already made the determination that the airplane is a " bad design " just to find out that with some adjustments to CG, aileron throws/differential, thrust angles etc. After a few of these adjustments the airplane would then fly in a much more acceptable manner. IMO the best we can do is educate our fellow modeler regardless of what type of construction their airplane is.