RCU Forums - View Single Post - 10XP Charger - last time buy
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 04:21 AM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Perhaps, but parallel charging (or even serial charging) assumes that you have first verified that each cell is within normal range before starting the charge; if you have an abnormal cell voltage, then caution is required.
In addition, there should be current limiting provided between the cells of the parallel packs, so in the event that a cell does "wander off the reservation", there is a current limit/protection in place to prevent the other parallel cells from sending too much current into the weaker cell. I believe the Revolectrix MPA provides such protection via surface mount self resetting fuses with visual indicators to indicate if there is such a problem?
Revolectrix
In addition, the lead connection sequence should be followed when connecting to charge and then disconnecting when charge is complete: discharge leads first, balance leads ... then disconnect balance leads and finally disconnect discharge leads (FWIW, the first discharge lead I connect is the black and the last discharge lead is disconnect is the black as well ... charging lithium batteries is perfect for those with OCD ... )
So, I still fail to see why parallel charging, when configured correctly, is inherently unsafe. In all honesty, charging a 1s lithium battery is inherently unsafe, its just the nature of the chemistry.
I must be missing something, but parallel charging just seems to get a really bad rap on almost every RC forum and I've never understood why.
If Thunder Power takes that statement out of their instructions I be willing to charge in parallel. As far as I know, TP is the LiPo RC provider that has been longer in business than any other battery manufacturer. I wonder if they are reading this. It will be great to hear their opinion.