RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carl Goldberg's 1/2A C/L's
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 05:37 PM
Joe Magaratz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Toot

I'm new to this forum. So I'm not sure how to direct my question to MJD about a Carl Goldberg plane he built. It was the Little Toot model. I built it as a free flight tooj when I was pretty young. I had a great little Cox .020 on it, but had trouble getting it trimmed. After one of the attempts the top wing came off. There was no instant glue then, but my friend ran to get his mother's box of dressmaking straight pins and I pinned it on! Just for one last attempt. And it did not crash. It went in a large slanted loop that swooped close to the ground and then, with each loop, got a little higher -- and closer to an enormous apple tree at one end of the field. Around the tree it went, once, twice and then it cleared it! We were going crazy! The field was on top of a hill outside the little town and there must have been a great thermal that day because the little plane began to go up into the sky faster and faster. Until it seemed to get near cloud base and then it straightened out and the noise of the engine went out and it began to fly in a straight line over the valley across town toward the next hill. My friend ran to the house to get his father's binoculars and we followed it until it seemed to descend into some trees there. We looked for it and looked, but couldn't find it and it was soon forgotten, until two years later when a little boy from the farm across that hill who knew I made model airplanes (I was the only boy in that small town who did these things) came running to me with a small wing he had found -- and I knew. We went there where he had found it by a tree line at the edge of his father's farm field and high in a tree right above was the remains of that plane. I took it home then, but as things happen, I lost all these things I wish I would have kept in the maelstrom that was life in my early years. No one not even John Brodak knows about the instructions that came with the plans for making it a free flight. I would love to either find an old kit or use John Brodak's new version if that's possible