RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dave Brown Vibra-Damp Mount rubber isolators deterioated/rotted
Old 08-23-2018, 09:20 AM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm posting this in case there is one other person in the universe who might have to make this repair. The first photo shows one mount with new, replaced isolator blocks along with the other, disassembled, un-repaired mount. I used, a 1/4" nut driver and a small (1/16th I think) hex wrench, to remove the inner isolator posts. They are held to the "floating" bar by tapered head machine screws with recessed hex openings, topped with lock nuts. Weird. I've never seen those machine screws before. Also shown is a disintegrated original block. The parts are covered with gooey, melted crud from the blocks. That goo is easily removed with acetone. The second photo shows the "almost" completed mounts. I intend to put exterior grade silicone caulk between the isolator rails and the actual engine mounts. The new blocks, even though stiffer that the originals, are quite flexible and the flexible caulk will supply some cushioning. Residue from caulk can be seen on the upper, disassembled mount. Also in that photo is the red, silicone material from McMaster Carr that I used to make the blocks. That material is very easily cut with an exacto blade and the holes made with a sharpened brass tube chucked in a drill.

Back when I was building this plane someone warned me I would regret using this mount, but I cheaped out and used it anyway, not wanting to part with $200 for a Hyde mount. I DO regret it!