RCU Forums - View Single Post - How dead is our industry?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 04:15 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

1. I know what you mean about ready-to-fly models and crashing Lee. I'm doing a fair bit of instructing these days and failed to take back control quickly enough when my trainee became disorientated. Picture of the result below. Fortunately my beloved Enya 50 was unscathed by the incident. The trainee is going to repair it. I wish him the best of luck! I've just taken delivery of something called a We-Can-Fly, typical Cessna lookalike, electric foamy. If I can't fly this I need shooting!
  2. Though I have some ARTFs, I prefer to build from a kit. If I build from a plan these days I get the a laser cutter to cut out all the difficult bits for me. I haven't always been in a position where I could afford to pay for this service but in retirement I find that I can. I plan to build a replica of Dr Walt Good's Big Guff over the (northern hemisphere) winter. This was one of the very first radio controlled models which first flew in the late 1930s.
  3. There appears to be one corner of the hobby which isn't dying. In June I participated La Coupe Des Barons. This is an event for the iconic French Baron trainer. After a concours d'elegance, there are four flying tests: baguettes where you have to knock over 1 metre-high balsa sticks; a pylon race; renard where you have to cut a streamer towed by a trainer and limbo where you have to fly between an two posts and below a rope. Eighty entrants were accepted and sixty-eight turned up on the day. Check out the picture before the event started, not many Ready-To Flys there! For those that are interested there is a video of the event and some still photos here. http://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons Just scroll down to "Video Coupe 2018" or "Photos Coupe 2018."