RCU Forums - View Single Post - skymaster f14xl
Thread: skymaster f14xl
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 01:02 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scottkieper
well people are still flying them. I have never seen anyone weighing them at a jet meet, who is moitoring them then??????????????????????????
People are flying the 1/6 FEJ F-14? not in this country yet, as far as I know. I know of only one that has made it to the US and it has not flown yet.

As far as weighing them, some jet events are starting to do that - or at least make the scales available and offer assistance to pilots that want to get their aircraft certified.

Remember, model aircraft over 55 lbs MUST be certified under the AMA's Large Model Aircraft (LMA and LTMA) program. It is ultimately the PILOT's responsibility to get their aircraft certified. To not do so for an aircraft over 55 lbs is a violation of Federal Law 14 CFR Part 101, which states (in part)

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

At this time, the ONLY community-based certification program that meets this requirement is the AMA LMA, LTMA certification process. Not complying with this puts you, as the owner/pilot, and more than likely the CD of an event, in a very precarious legal and liability position if something happens.

The process to comply is easy enough that NOT complying is foolish, IMO.

One must keep in mind though that the AMA LTMA program limits jet models to 100 lbs maximum takeoff weight (wet). I know that some of the really big jet models are pushing this limit, but I personally wouldn't be one of them that is - the risks are too high.

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 08-31-2018 at 01:06 PM.