RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electriflying Top Flite Stinson Reliant
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 04:11 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Eric,
I just got back from vacation and it looks like you are moving right along!!! Your build looks nice and clean so far.

I like your "lick it" method for bending the balsa. I keep an old spray bottle filled with water on my bench and make regular use of it when coaxing balsa into shape. I also find ammonia based glass cleaner (like Windex) to work well too, especially on tight bends. The ammonia loosens the wood fibers and really makes it pliable. On a shape like this, I will often pre-form the part by soaking it in water then bending it around a can or a jar that is roughly the right size, using tape or rubber bands to hold it in place while the water dries.

If I recall correctly, my Stinson interior kit came in a box, not a bag like you have. I will dig it out later today and see if it looks any different from what you show in your pictures (it may be just different packaging).

I have to say that all of the woodworking is actually my favorite part of a build, so I am really looking forward to starting my own Stinson project. I am already committed to the Cessna first though, and knowing my build pace, it will be a (very) long while before getting the Stinson started. Now that I am back home, I hope to get started in earnest on my Cessna this weekend.

Al