RCU Forums - View Single Post - Latest FAA Requthorization bill...
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 04:53 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Digital Pilot
The FAA was given the authority to use Remote ID however not sure to what extent.

Secret Agent, I do know a couple planes that do not have ident as well, however the new FAA rule by 2020 is that ALL aircraft with have ASD B in and out.
The bill does NOT mandate remote ID for small unmanned systems (which our models are one) at this time. There is a requirement for a "pilot program" to evaluate possible technologies for remote ID for small UAS, but no provisions for implementation at this time.

I HIGHLY doubt that there will be a mandate for ADS-B on models. The ADS-B system is designed to help full-scale aircraft avoid each other. Having sUAS on the ADS-B system would swamp it in certain situations and hinder its ability to do its job for full-scale aviation. In addition, the major desire for "remote ID" for sUAS is to be able to identify "rogue" sUAS in situations where they should not be there. The full-scale air traffic control system is not built for, and could not handle ADS-B transponders on "drones."

Bob