RCU Forums - View Single Post - servo failure
Thread: servo failure
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 06:07 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wondering how many times you plan on posting this?

First thread from the 18th

First flight!
Banking hard left!

Sounds like a warped wing to me. OR, maybe even you had one or both your ailerons reversed. Though one should be noticed during pre-flight.

Quote: "Uopn take off all was fairly normal accepept for the tendancy for the plane to be banking fairly hard to the left. ............................. After the second curciut..."

I see a great potential for Pilot/Builder Error in this scenario. A "tendency to bank fairly hard to the left" is anything but "fairly normal". So you take off and experience problems right away. So instead of returning to base to check things out, you keep flying (second circuit) until the problem manifests itself into disaster. Not knowing your experience or anything but I'd say this entire project was beyond your current abilities. Both in building and flying. And I think you're doing what everyone has done at some point and lay the blame on equipment rather than admit that you may have screwed up. The fact that you relied on the hobby shop for servo selection tells me you were in new territory as far as building experience goes. And while I too would consider what the local hobby shop had to say, I would also seek the advice of others. And I have 50 years of experience in this stuff.

Banking hard left? Let me guess, for your two circuits you flew a left hand pattern? That would be like turning into a dead engine on a twin.
For future reference in such a situation:
You noticed the hard bank right away.
You should have set up to return to base then.
First choice would be to land straight ahead if the size of the lake allowed. If not...
Make a 180 turn to the right and if wind allowed, making a straight in landing opposite the departure.
If the wind wasn't cooperating, make a single downwind leg followed by a second 180 to the right and line up for a water landing.
At no time should you have turned into the hard bank. I suspect that is what led to the final spin in.

Major problem with all this is having enough control authority at slow speed to keep the wing level on approach and landing. It's possible the plane was doomed the moment it left the water.

Last edited by Appowner; 09-29-2018 at 06:21 AM.