RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 10-17-2018, 11:36 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

You seem to be living in a similar situation to us, ETpilot. Here, we have open wide stretches where one may be at least an hour away from the nearest civilization, not to mention a repair shop. There are stretches where there is no cellphone service. I've been replacing batteries before they definitely go, replacing hoses and belts every 4 or 5 years, tires promptly, alternators after 130k miles, etc. Even so, occasionally one of those "I gotcha" comes along, an unexpected breakdown, but have nipped most in the bud.

Last gotcha was our 2013 SUV engine trouble light coming on, sometimes wouldn't start. Fancy messaging center and can't even say what is wrong. Put my code reader to it, says battery voltage low. After 4 years, the OEM battery was finally going bad. Replaced it, which cleared the code. Couldn't replace it with a premium higher capacity longer lasting battery because the factory battery box in the wheel well area won't fit another without extensive modifications, phooey.

Seems you spend the rest of your life oiling it, changing it, repairing it, cleaning it, polishing it, painting it, etc., never ending cycle.