RCU Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone else noticed , , ,
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 09:08 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I found the audio of the interview and Tony was constantly referring to things two and three years previously or, as far as I can tell, things that were never actually fact. He claimed that, to legally fly an R/C aircraft, you had to either be a member of the AMA or hold a 107 certificate, something that wasn't true even a year ago, IIRC. He claimed that you had to have a 107 certificate to fly FPV, not so sure on that one, basing his statement on the requirements needed to get an instrument rating in a full sized aircraft. The biggest one that I had to laugh at was that, since you had to be 16 to get a 107 certificate, if you weren't an AMA member, it was illegal TO FLY ANYTHING IF YOU WERE UNDER THE AGE OF 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As of a few weeks ago, everything he said in the interview was not applicable anyway since the laws have now changed
If you go to the RC Geek site, and hover over the "9 months ago" in upper right, it shows the interview was done on 25 January 2018. So as recently as then, AMA was still pushing the narrative that you either had to be a member or fly 107. And they were doing that despite having a copy in hand (I provided it) of the FAA letter to me saying membership is not required.
Attached Files

Last edited by franklin_m; 10-26-2018 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Changed to PDF copy of letter